Wednesday 21 August 2024

Chain-Creating Freaks & Fancies - Another blogging challenge

If there are two things I enjoy, then late night posting and bandwagons includes at least one of the them.

On our darling OSR server on the discord side of things I was egged on to try to get another bandwagon, or "a blogging challenge" as they call them nowadays, off the ground.

Ghru from Dark Souls 3, my inspiration for using goatmen

How did we get here?

This all stemmed from a conversation about using "un-vanilla" creatures. As in, taking something like the goblins in the gatehouse of Stonehell and instead running them as lanky goat-men with crowns of tangled horns growing from their heads, or other types of "re-skinning" of things in a similar matter.

From there the conversation continued to drift onwards to creating new things altogether, and how that really is just riffing off of things as well.
And that is not a bad thing, seeing something cool and going "This is cool, I wanna make something based off of it!" is a perfectly fine attitude to have especially in a hobby where we're just making (hopefully cool) stuff up to show to our players.

So, I challenge whoever comes after me to do exactly that, don't worry about originality or anything like that too much and just make something fun out of something cool you find.
Or in this case, something cool I found for you.

The Challenge - Chain-Creating Freaks & Fancies

This really is as simple as:
I will now share what I think is something that looks cool with you.
You will take that something and create some gameable piece from it. A monster, an npc, a magic item, a dungeon, a village. Whatever you think befits the thing.
Once you are done you write it into a blogpost, linking back to this one, and at the end of that blogpost you will share something that you think looks cool.
And whoever comes after you will then take your something and write a gameable piece based from it, linking back to your post.
And we will keep repeating this until someone drops the collective ball.

Or if this goes wild and blows up somehow, all of yous take my cool thing and create something from it and then when you share it in your blog you include something you find cool and we'll keep having these prompts multiply exponentially.

One or the other.

My "something cool"

Okay, I have something that I found quite cool. Mermaids in what to me looks almost like swamp water. Based on this, give me freaks or give me fancies.

Now let's see if this one will sink or swim.

mermaids
Mermaids, by Alayne on Artstation
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Al3Jxo

This challenge has since been taken on by Mr.Mann of the Foot of the Blue Mountain blog.
Follow the chain over there if you wish to find the out what he has left behind for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment